Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Airport Monopoly

Recently, on my way back to Wake from Texas, I got stuck at the airport in Atlanta for five hours.  Why is this significant?  Well, at one point, I got pretty thirsty and headed over to a snack shop to pick up a coke.  After waiting in line for about 5 minutes, I was finally able to purchase the drink I was craving: a Diet Dr. Pepper.  I was thoroughly disgusted, however, by the ridiculously high price of $1.99 that I was forced to pay for the 20 oz. treat.  So at that point, I started thinking about the whole decision making process and why I had gone ahead and chosen to make such a fiscally irresponsible purchase.

First, I know that there were certainly different options around the airport other than the little shop I chose, but I also know that I want a DDP for a variety of specific reasons.  First, I wanted a caffeinated beverage so I could stay up since I'd started my journey back to Wake really early that morning and so that I wouldn't miss any updates on my delayed flight.  I chose a DDP specifically because it is not only one of my favorite drinks but it reminds me of good ol' Texas as well.  Additionally, I was drawn to that specific shop to purchase the beverage because it was close to my gate.  Unfortunately, the price was increased due to the convenience factor and the fact that in an airport there is little competition since the customer is basically being sequestered in one area.

That said, though, I was still willing to pay the high price and made the purchase decision without regarding that aspect of the decision process since all I really wanted was a Diet Dr. Pepper and to be close to my gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment