Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Serve-us With a Smile?


I feel like time and time again we are taught that when it comes to sales, customer service is key. Employees are taught to abide by "service with a smile" and have it drilled into their minds that "the customer is always right". Now let's be honest, we all know that the customer is not always right. If we accept this as correct, then how valuable is customer service, really? If customer service is based on being fake and accepting lies as truth, then is there merit to it?...

YES.

I find that customer service is affecting my purchases and brand loyalties more and more on a daily basis. Last week an order that I had placed from Walmart.com. was delivered. I was glad because it came so quickly, and I was very impressed. But when I opened the box I found that the order was only half-complete (even though it was reported as having been delivered in-whole). I was not overly pleased anymore. All the credibility they had gained with fast shipping they instantly lost with the incomplete order. So I sent an e-mail to their customer service account, and instantly received an automated response which did not at all address my issue. But in the automated response they gave a phone number. By this point, I must say I was a little peeved. I didn't want to have to waste my time trying to resolve their errors, after waiting on hold for about 15 minutes, I did not have high hopes for how the phone conversation was going to go. But much to my surprise, as soon as the representative picked up the phone and listened to my explanation about the issue, she began apologizing repeatedly for my inconvenience. Without questioning my claim or accusing me of being incorrect she simply stated that she would immediately file that the missing portion be sent. She again apologized and wished me well. I hung up the phone and thought 'wow, that was incredible, I wasn't even questioned...'

But then I got to wondering, what about the less honest individuals? What about the people who might choose to say their orders were incomplete, when in fact they were quite complete? Well, the fact is, if they were to give a customer a hard time who was in fact correct, they risk permanently losing that customer's loyalty. In a recent study of cell phone users, 49% said that they leave a provider based on a poor customer service experience (Tsai). The same could be expected for stores. Why would I ever continue buying from Walmart if I can get the same products at the same price from Amazon, or Target? Truth is, I wouldn't. Maybe in a world where brands lose the ability to compete on price or differentiation, customer service is the competitive advantage that keeps a company at the top.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that customer service can absolutely make or break it for me, even if I am in the wrong. To me, good customer service can almost outweigh the importance of the product itself. I tend to get crabby when companies mess up my order, so a bad customer service rep makes things even worse. That's actually the main reason I am hesitant to buy things from ebay--because I don't know how reliable and helpful the seller will be. I wonder how sellers on ebay could market their customer service in a way that might combat that phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree having good customer service is essential, especially today where word of mouth is so important and people tell their friends about bad and good experiences at stores. I interned at a telecommunications company last summer and I conducted some market research with mobile phone customers who were new to the company and many respondents said they switched providers because of poor customer service at their last company. The company I worked at was very concerned about being clear and transparent to customers when responding to questions or concerns, and with being proactive to see customer's opinions of their customer service. I agree that not questioning a person who says that part of their order is missing seems a bit dangerous since people could lie about it, and it seems like WalMart might make a lot of these mistakes if they believed the caller right away. I think this highlights the importance of quality control because if companies spent more time making sure mistakes like this didn't happen they would have less annoyed customers and it would be harder for people to be dishonest and lose the company money since they companies might be able to investigate the smaller number of claims. I know I would much rather have no problems with a company and good customer service all along, rather than just polite employees for damage control.

    ReplyDelete