Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ready To Run

I have always enjoyed running, but have never considered myself to be a true “runner.” So, when my roommate asked if I would sign up for a program with her to train for a 5K, I quickly jumped at the opportunity to work towards this title. The program, called No Boundaries, is overseen by Fleet Feet, a sportswear store just off of Miller Street in Winston. We attended our first informational meeting on Thursday night, during which they handed each participant a long list of what we will need at each practice. There was the usual: shoes, socks, water bottle – but a few surprises showed up on the list as well: inserts, reflective gear, compression tights. What the heck are compression tights? After skimming the list, my roommate and I quickly decided we would need to pay a visit to Fleet Feet the next day to sort out all that we would need. After all, if we are really going to do this, we’ll need to look the part.


The next afternoon we returned to the store ready to purchase our gear. The most important item I would need was a pair of running shoes; my three-year-old Nike Shox are just not cutting it anymore. In the past, when I have needed new sneakers I would just head over to Foot Locker, pick the pair I thought looked the best, confirm the size and head out the door with my purchase, all within about ten minutes. I expected this experience to be similar, but I soon learned that it was anything but. Once inside the door, we were immediately greeted by an associate and whisked over to a vast wall of shoes. Instead of simply saying, “pick a pair,” we were brought over to a bench where we received multiple measurements of our feet. After size was determined, we were told to walk in a straight line and back as the associate watched us. When we sat back down, she began to tell us how we walked; if we were favoring one side of our foot when we stepped down, if our heel was arched enough, etc. I was amazed that she could tell us all this information in just a few short steps.

Once our feet had been “reviewed,” the associate went to the back room where she picked out two pairs of shoes she thought would be best for each of us. I have to admit, I am all for the right kind of shoe for my feet, but I want them to look good too, so I was a bit apprehensive about what she would bring to me. The first two pairs she had me try on were by running brand Saucony. Although she assured me that these would fit my needs for the program, this brand has never been in my initial consideration set when picking athletic shoes. A brand that has always been in this group, though, is Nike. I have built a sense of personal loyalty to this brand not just based on their high quality shoes, but the company’ extensive line of athletic apparel as well (as I would guess of most Wake girls, my workout drawer is 75% filled with Nike shorts). I timidly asked the Associate if there were any Nike shoes that would fit my foot, and she directed me to a single pair that would be appropriate. All I had to see was the bright white swoosh, and I was sold. Once size was confirmed, I was the official owner of a new pair of running shoes.

Excited about my new purchase, I moved onto what else I would need, including socks, water bottle, etc. When I mentioned to the associate that I did not have a stopwatch, she directed me to their selection: a case of Timex watches, the cheapest of which was $90. While she could have told me that these were the top of the line and I would not be able to get anything similar anywhere, she suggested I look at Target for cheaper alternatives that had the same capabilities. I quickly thanked her for the tip and decided I was done shopping for the day.


An hour and a half later, I stood at the checkout desk with my final purchases, including shoes, inserts and socks. Although the total was not exactly music to my ears, I was confident about my purchases. Through this experience, I became aware of two very important consumer insights. The first is concerned with brand familiarity; if a brand is in a consumer’s initial consideration set, it is three times more likely to be purchased in the end. Because Nike was a brand that I automatically thought of when considering shoes, this trigger had a major influence in my purchase. Ultimately, this single example shows how important it is for brands to increase visibility in the consumer market. Through being well known in a given industry, brands have the ability to reap the benefits of healthy sales and positive customer experiences. The second is concerned with exceptional customer service; according to a recent survey by online database customer1, 60% of American customers are willing to pay more when they have a positive customer experience. Because the associate with whom I worked was so attentive and concerned with meeting my best needs (as opposed to just making the sale), I was willing to spend more money on my ultimate purchase. In addition, I left the store feeling confident about my purchases and encouraged to return to this particular store if I had any future needs. Overall, it goes to show how just a little attentiveness and kindness can go a long way in the eye of the consumer.

As my roommate and I walked out of Fleet Feet with bags in tow, we began to discuss our excitement about starting the program. I am looking forward to starting on the training, and hopefully soon achieving the illustrious title of ‘runner’!

Here is the link to the Fleet Feet Winston-Salem website. They have amazing training programs for all levels of runners, a fun thing to check out if you are interested!
http://www.fleetfeetwinston-salem.com/

Carolyn Toll

No comments:

Post a Comment