Monday, September 27, 2010

A Cover Letter from Generation Y



To Whom It May Concern:

I am a proud member of “Generation Y Not?” and I am interested in a position at your company with good benefits and a high starting salary. I am looking for a purpose inspired career in a fast paced job where my promotion is based on performance not tenure. I don’t wear tights, I believe suits are for pricks and my smart phone is as important to me as my left hand.

Please let me know if in the next six months you plan to have flexible work schedules, telecommuting, and full tuition reimbursements for grad school (which I plan to go to in two years). Speaking of my plan, career maps are vital to my success because I plan to go abroad in five years for a six month sabbatical and need to be in upper management in the next eight years. My work life balance is really important to me so I will not be working more than 40 hours/week.

I know I sound like I am high- maintenance but I am also an incredibly high performer. In fact, I am a productivity machine and can promise that if given the opportunity I will make a serious impact on your organization. I am also a multi-taker, efficient, confident & self-expressive. Why should you care? Your baby boomers are retiring and the most educated generation in American history is knocking at your doorstep! In just two years, we will account for 37% of your company! I realize you think I am entitled and cocky but let’s be real, to stay competitive you need me.

Sincerely,
Gen Y

P.S. Is it OK if my mom calls later to follow up with the details on benefits package?
______
Is corporate America ready for Generation Y or is Gen Y ready for a reality check? So we just spent a quarter of a million dollars on our educations and are graduating in the middle of a recession with all time high unemployment rates. Awesome…? While this may sound crazy, I think we are incredibly lucky in that generation Y is in the best position to prosper post recession. The baby boomers are about to retire creating a vacuum of upward mobility in the next five years. We are on the cutting edge of a major technological shift occurring in the business world and can immediately offer companies a desired view point and skill set. Because we grew up with events such as Enron, the dot.com bust, Katrina and 911, we are use to adapting to fast-paced change and innovation. Because we experienced the bailouts of corporate giants such as General Motors and Citibank we have very little trust in Corporate America and are not afraid to question authority and seek answers. We are part of a generation with high self- confidence who is ready to tackle a difficult employment environment with optimism. Get ready corporate America, Generation Y is poised to shake the waters and leave their mark.   -Olivia Mills

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious, but it is frightening how true it is. Our generation has a lot to bring to the table, and we are definitely going to leave our mark. I also feel like a large portion of our generation is too self-entitled. I don't think we have yet earned the right to make a lot of these demands. We are a generation that is used to "adapting to fast-paced change and innovation," so why can we not adapt to standard employers' expectations?

    ReplyDelete