Sunday, September 12, 2010

Free Stuff

Today, I turned twenty-one.  I had been warned that turning twenty-one would be very anticlimactic.  Fortunately, that was not the case.  It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.  There were a lot of people at my birthday party.  Everyone was sweet and generous.  By sweet, I mean literally sweet.  I ended up with two large birthday cakes, a giant bag of peanut butter M&Ms, chocolate covered pretzels, cake balls, and three bottles of champagne.  I was/am extremely grateful for all of the sweets and other gifts that I received, but knew that I would not be able to consume all of those things by myself.  I was eager to share. 

I got my second cake at dinner tonight.  It was a delicious, homemade chocolate cake with chocolate icing.  My friend had taken the time to draw flowers on top and all along the sides of the cake.  She even put a picture of Zac Efron on top.   It looked fantastic, and tasted even better.  My friends (my party had been the night before, so dinner was just with a few of my closest friends) and I ate less than a quarter of the cake.  We offered some to the waitress, but she politely declined.  On our way out of the restaurant a group of three men in their mid to late thirties sitting at the bar saw the cake and asked if it was my birthday.  They were very flirtatious.  They complimented my outfit and told me I looked pretty.  They were nice, but they were a little excessive.  They finally asked about the cake, which I knew was what they wanted the whole time.  Since I already had so many sweets, I offered them some cake.  They asked the bartender for plates and a knife to cut the cake.  I handed one of the men the cake box, so he could cut his own slice.  He proceeded to take half of the cake.  He then had the audacity to ask one of his buddies if he thought that would be enough for three of them.  I refrained from responding that my five friends and I had not eaten half of what he had just cut for him and his two buddies.  They returned what was left of my cake, and thanked me because I had saved them each about eight dollars.  They were planning on buying dessert, but no longer needed to. 

When I joined my friends outside to go home, I showed them my cake and they were astonished.  None of us could believe that three strangers had taken so much of my cake.  It was really tacky, but it made me think about how much people love free stuff.  I would never pay for anything if I could get it for free.  If there is a sign that says ‘free food’ or ‘free shirts’ it’s almost guaranteed that I will be there.  I have friends that go to Harris Teeter just to eat the free samples.  No one turns down something that is free, so I guess I cannot blame them.  I did not need that extra cake anyway.  I actually still have a little bit left if anyone is interested. 

Posted by Leigh Vogedes

No comments:

Post a Comment