Sunday, September 19, 2010

Just Do It.


Ever since I decided to stop playing soccer, I’ve had a little trouble exercising regularly. I am certainly capable; I just find it difficult to get out of the house considering my laziness. On those few occasions per week that I do decide to suit up and hit the pavement for a nice run, I find myself in head to toe Nike clothing (right down to my socks and undergarments). 



Simultaneously, the Nike swoosh and the Just Do It slogan have had a large impact on sport and culture, allowing it to become a ubiquitous part of the American mindset. In the late 1970s, exercising became less about fun and entertainment, and more about health and a high quality of life. Attaining a toned body became a physical display of one’s self control and an indication of where one stood in relation to everyone else. People who exercised as a regular part of life were lured in by the feeling of empowerment and high status, not to mention the potential benefit of a longer, healthier life.

While it may not have been a contributing factor to the increased interest in exercise, Nike was able to capitalize on the change of American fitness culture and dominates its market. Today, athletes and their superior abilities are often idolized as gods and games have become a sort of religious ritual (Monday Night Football and March Madness, for example). For the most part, our culture values the skill, physical strength, and mental capacity these athletes possess and Nike has taken advantage of the fitness culture of elevating athletes.

Named after the Greek goddess of victory, Nike has contributed to the creation of a sense of mythology and religion surrounding sports. For example, Nike’s “Write the Future” advertisements were shown this summer during the 2010 World Cup. The full length video flows from one game to another, depicting the various consequences an outcome of a game can have on players and the countries they represent in between. The athletes' fates are shown to affect individuals (a statue of Cristiano Ronaldo is erected in a town square in Portugal), entire countries (Wayne Rooney causes England’s economy to take a turn for the worst), and other sports (Kobe Bryant is shown celebrating with a soccer move originally used by Ronaldinho).


By taking advantage of the sanctification of sport, the brand has been able to build a bridge between the common man and the professional athlete. While we worshiped their athletic abilities from our sofas and stadium seats, Nike has worked to become a symbol of the religion of sports. Even though in reality many of these athletes are untouchable, Nike allows those with enough money to outfit themselves in the apparel of “gods” and feel that they are one step closer to achieving similar status.

Even though I’m a little embarrassed by the obvious influence Nike has had on me and my spending habits when it comes to athletic apparel, I can’t help but to look in the mirror and tell myself to “just do it.” After all, I’ve already dressed the part.

-Sarah Shelness, junior BEM major with a concentration in marketing, avid wearer of Nike clothes, not-so-avid runner

4 comments:

  1. I find it really interesting how much of a role Nike plays in the American sporting culture. Through playing sports my entire life I have been exposed to all labels and types of advertising for different brands, but nothing has stuck and taken over like Nike has in the US. Throughout Europe Nike is obviously a popular brand, but Adidas, Lacoste, Reebok and many others command a large market share too. Whereas in the US it seems like Nike dominates, and if your not wearing Nike you are taking a step down. It still amazes me how different the cultures can be from country to country.

    Iain Atkinson - Senior BEM Major

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nike and Recall and Recognition in the Athletic Shoe Market:
    During the summer I added variety to my typical exercise regimen of free weights. I alternated my usual weight bearing exercises with treadmill sessions and early morning 3 mile walks with my mom. I was wearing an old pair of Addidas, which I had owned for several years and as I started walking more my feet were beginning to hurt. As my mom and I proceeded along the golf course in our development on a tranquil, yet humid July morning I mentioned that my feet were starting to hurt and that I thought new shoes would solve the problem. My mom agreed and asked me what shoes I would like to buy in place of my current ones. The first thing that came out of my mouth was “Maybe I’ll get some Nikes.” My mom replied, “What about Asics? They are supposed to have some nice walking shoes too.”
    Nike was the first brand that I could recall, while New Balance and Pumas popped into my mind as well. Until my mom brought up Asics I had not thought of them, but as soon as they were mentioned I recalled that they sold a wide selection of athletic shoes too. The conversation I proceeded to have with my mom illustrates the concepts of recognition and recall found in Solomon’s Consumer Behavior. Recall is the process of retrieving information, such as a marketing message, from memory without being exposed to it whereas recognition occurs when consumers must first be exposed to a message before they can remember it.
    In my example, Nike was the recalled brand and Asics were the brand that I recognized. I think the reason Nike was the first brand I recalled is because the company plays so many advertisements on TV and uses so many famous celebrities to promote its products. I have seen a great number of New Balance ads, although not as frequently as I have seen Nike advertisements, and I have been exposed to the Puma brand during several trips to the mall when I walk through the shoe department. However, I must say I have never seen an advertisement for Asics, which is probably why I had to hear my mom mention the brand before I could remember it. This just goes to show how important it is to advertise and generate brand awareness among consumers. Each firm wants customers to consider its brand before it considers any other brand because that will increase its chances of making a sale. Asics had a very slim chance that I would buy its products until my mom mentioned the company. I probably would have gone straight to the Nike section if I had not discussed my purchase with my mom first.
    The lesson to be learned by Asics is that brand awareness and promotion is key if it hopes to have its products among those that are recalled from memory. It is much better to have a product that is initially recalled rather than one that pops into the consumer’s mind only after exposure.
    Posted by Katie Guerra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, Nike plays a part in recruiting for collegiate athletics (no, not illegally). When I began my recruiting journey, I knew in my mind that I would play for a “Nike school” (a school that only used Nike products). My team shares the same view, we constantly mock other teams that wear Russell or Adidas gear, considering them lower tiered programs. In my perceptual map, Nike stands above the rest. It is the pinnacle of sports fashion and performance and in my mind collegiate athletes should wear the best sports performance gear possible. Like Sarah, I generally am covered in Nike head to toe (mainly because it is free gear from football), but I feel more comfortable and confident while wearing the performance wear. One of my best friends plays football for the University of Louisville, an Adidas school. Over the summer we ripped on one another for their “terrible” clothing as we worked out. Finally, we decided to swap shirts and shorts for a workout, to test the other’s gear. That day, I realized Adidas made clothes that function well too. Yet, I still refuse to purchase any Adidas wear. It has become ingrained in my mind that Nike performs better for me, although that really isn’t the case.

    - Shane Popham

    ReplyDelete