Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Starbuck's: Perfect Place to People Watch

starbucks-769751.jpg



Thursdays are hell for me. I have class from 8-5:30. Besides the school-wide break from 11-12, I have an awkward opening from 1:15-3.  It’s not long enough to drive back to my off-campus apartment.  It’s not sufficient time to run errands, for one errands turns into five.  Now that it is the beginning of November, I have literally just figured out how best to waste this awkward hour and forty-five minute gap.  Starbucks. In the ZSR. It’s a break from the mundane classroom environment, almost as if I traveled off campus. It allows me to zone into my work with light music providing background sound.  Or it allows me the possibility to be distracted by the many familiar faces walking through the coffee shop.  If I need to actually focus on my education, which is usually the least favorite option, I venture to the second story and park my caboose in a leather chair.  Or if I want to be social, or simply want to watch people, I sit on the bottom level.  This is where my people-watching experiment began.

Last Thursday I sat in the perfect position to be as nosy as can be – the bench seat directly across from the Starbuck’s cashier station. This allowed me to watch the consumer walking into the store, waiting in line, purchasing a product, and enjoying the purchase. On this specific Thursday, my twelve o’clock section ended early, so I made my way to Starbuck’s by one o’clock.  Boy did I know when the clock struck 1:20.  All of a sudden my people-watching experiment kicked into full gear.  The store was hopping with caffeine-deficient students. The line for liquid energy was out the door, as students needed a quick fix before their next class at 1:30.  While these caffeine addicts anxiously waited in line, I simply sat back and relaxed, watching these Starbuck’s consumers react to their surroundings.

Consumer insight. By golly I got it that day. Every single person in that ten-minute time slot knew what drink he/she wanted to order.  If a student was waiting in line to purchase a drink, he/she knew exactly what beverage they were purchasing.  Some of the orders that came out of these consumers’ mouths literally sounded Chinese to my ears, as a basic tea or coffee is the fanciest I get.  It was also interesting to realize whom the regulars were, as made apparent when the employees behind the counter could simply asked the customer if he/she would like the usual.  Interesting.  These students must be really regular considering the ridiculous number of students who purchase products at this store daily. The consumers’ purchasing of food was an entirely different story.  After my ten-minute observation, I believe it safe to say that only five to ten percent of students waiting in line had the initial intention of buying food.  The overwhelming majority of consumers was drawn to the shiny glass display case of sweets.  The cookies, the scones, the muffins, the pastries – all perfectly positioned in the case in order to lure the customer.  Though this case is next to the cash register, the goodies inside the case can be seen almost from the back of the line.  Of course.  When these students were forced to wait in line, they could not help but look at the food choices.  Honestly, how many times can a student check his/her phone or converse with the person in front of him/her or randomly stare at the student traffic? Obviously these consumers are forced to wait in line, and therefore they want something enticing to stare at to pass the time.  Starbuck’s realized this, and decided to capitalize on this observation.  In the ten-minutes, about half of the students waiting in line ended up purchasing a food option with their usual drink.  They told their drink order in a quick, everyday way, while following with their food order in a questioning tone, as if they were venturing to un-chartered territory.  This exemplifies consumers’ point-of-purchase decisions.  Starbuck’s surrounds the cash register area with products.  Not only is there that sinful pastry case, but there are also little packaged goods to satisfy any craving. So between the class case and the counter offerings, Starbuck’s can and does entice the consumers enough for them to purchase their food products on the spot.  Starbuck’s strategic placement of products does just as the marketers intended – brings in the Benjamins.  

3357653168_b4e0812693.jpg

Emily Langsenkamp is now a 22-year old who is currently sitting at the site of her people-watching experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment